FY24 – Shelby County Community-Centered Budgeting Process
Last year, the Moral Budget Coalition kicked off the first-ever Community-Centered Budgeting process, and now the Shelby County Government is working with us and other community partners to keep it going for FY24! Shelby County Government has a $1.5 Billion budget, and this year you can use an interactive tool to weigh in on how to invest it.
Send your input to Mayor Lee Harris and the County Commission before June 15!
Past work – Your Budget, Your Voice!
During the budget season in 2022, the Moral Budget Coalition developed a presentation to help the community understand the Shelby County Budget – where the money comes from, where it goes, and how those decisions are made. Learn more about Shelby County’s budget with our Community Centered Budgeting 101 presentation! ¡Puede aprender más sobre el presupuesto del Condado Shelby con nuestra presentación abajo!
We also shared an online survey for community members to rank services provided in the current budget by importance to individuals and neighborhoods, weigh in on new services funded by the County, and suggest other services to fund in the Shelby County Budget. In May of 2022, we shared the survey responses with the Shelby County Commission and Mayor Lee Harris’ Office, and the Moral Budget Coalition is continuing to work with elected officials to make sure community input and values are reflected in the Fiscal Year 2024 budget. Stay tuned, and view the FY23 responses here!
In The News
- New coalition calls for city, county budgets to support the most vulnerable | MLK50 | Read Article
- Group calls on Memphis, Shelby County to keep property tax rates, fund ‘moral budgets’ | Memphis Commercial Appeal | Read Article
- Clergy and community leaders want Memphis and Shelby County budgets to “battle for the people” | ABC24 | Read Article
- ‘Moral Budget’ plan would keep city and county property tax rates the same | Daily Memphian | Read Article
- Group demands ‘moral’ budgets from city, county leaders | WREG Memphis | Read Article
- Behind the Headlines: City of Memphis and Shelby County Budget Priorities | WKNO | Watch Interview
- Memphis-Shelby County FY2022 Moral Budget: American Rescue Plan Act, Proposal 2022 | Read Proposal